Community Engagement Coordinator, Climate Action Santa Monica (CASM)
Climate Action Santa Monica (CASM) is a nonprofit focused on local actions and advocacy in support of Santa Monica’s plan for climate mitigation and adaptation amidst the climate emergency. We are a collaborative group working diligently to help transform complex systems at the local level. We run a summer program, CASM Climate Corps, for ages 15 – 22 in partnership with the City of Santa Monica’s Office of Sustainability and the Environment. The Community Engagement Coordinator will perform essential operational functions for CASM, including assisting in its year-round events, campaigns, and advocacy as well as with CASM’s summer youth program, Climate Corps.
- Work with the Manager of the CASM Climate Corps program to help organize trainings, schedule project teams, arrange engagements with the community, maintain communications, support youth development, and administer honoraria awards for the 7-week program
- Respond to and support volunteer requests and help build volunteer participation.
- Work with CASM co-chairs or steering committee members to organize occasional events including drafting and distributing invitations, coordinating with event partners and participants, and assisting with logistics.
- Learn and use our online community engagement system (Aplos) to assist with communications and publicity with members, partners, and donors
- Use Aplos to execute digital news blasts, writing and utilizing provided content, and posting on social media platforms
- Organize and maintain communication with Climate Corps via text, email, phone Slack, and in person to support projects, advocacy and teamwork
- Work with manager of CASM Climate Corps to prepare for Climate Corps summer, including recruiting, collecting signed forms,
- Assist with administrative tasks to support CASM as needed
- Assist at occasional events occurring weekdays, evenings or weekends
Hours and pay
- Part-time role
- Pay rate is $18 per hour
- September through May
- 8 hours per week
- Mostly from home, occasionally onsite for local events
- June through August
- 16 hours per week to support Climate Corps program
- At local sites for Climate Corps events, some hours from home
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Works collaboratively, can take initiative, follows through
- Exercises creative and critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Organized and attentive to administrative detail
- Interest in Santa Monica sustainability policies and programs
- Ability to learn online software to enter and maintain database of contacts, Google Drive, spreadsheets and docs
- Keen interest in environmental consciousness and issues and knowledge about human-caused climate change that has generated emergency
- Experience or willingness in speaking about climate change publicly with diverse audiences, comfort speaking with people
- Social media know-how and interest
- Ability to self-reflect, listen to and learn from constructive critical feedback; and
- Ability to travel to sites as needed, sometimes with light cargo
- Keen interest in motivating and supporting the activities of adult and youth volunteers through communication, encouragement and support.
Education and experience
- Experience working with youth, communications, non-profits, and community organizing are a plus
- High school or equivalent education
- Environmental coursework, volunteering or work experience preferred
Thank you for your interest!