$18.00 – $22.00 per hour | 15-20 hours per week | 8 positions available
Climate Action Santa Monica (CASM) is a nonprofit focused on climate mitigation and adaptation amidst the climate emergency. We are a collaborative group working to help transform complex systems at the local level in collaboration with partners and the City of Santa Monica. We run a number of programs that organize and engage our community in climate issues, including a youth summer program, CASM Climate Corps, and the Climate Job Corps, a workforce development program run by CASM and the City of Santa Monica that is part of CaliforniansForAll Youth Job Corps.
Climate Outreach Fellows will work on a variety of projects. Projects will be assigned based on the Fellow’s interests and skills and project needs. The Fellows will work individually on their own time and in groups, and will be accountable for independent work and completion of tasks as a team. This will give the Fellows a variety of experiences and exposures to the work of a small community-based non profit. Fellows will receive training on climate issues and also be expected to learn about climate issues on their own and share their learning with the group. They will receive some coaching and support on the projects that they are assigned. This position is grant funded through the Californians for All Youth Workforce Development program, dedicated to supporting underserved youth. We are recruiting a team of eight fellows. This a part-time role, for six months, with possibility of continuation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
● Setting up, participating in, and supporting community meetings to discuss climate problems and solutions
● Learning about and demonstrating induction cooking and promoting building
electrification and climate action at public events such as farmers markets and
community meetings at local affordable housing developments
● Orchestrating outreach campaign for gas appliance replacement
● Reviewing data and creating tracking spreadsheets surrounding building decarbonization
● Organizing online meetings for the community and experts to discuss climate topics
● Creating written, graphic, video and photographic content for social media and newsletters
● Planning events, including a 20th Anniversary Forum and Celebration
● Assist with fundraising by researching foundations
● Organizing students at Santa Monica College and other large energy users to create awareness of climate solutions and opportunities
● Conducting on-the-ground patrols to help residents comply with local water and waste compliance
● Supporting general administrative duties for CASM
● Post regularly on instagram and Facebook and other CASM accounts following
guidelines and communications plan
● Assist with updates to CASM’s website
● Use and maintain the CASM database using Aplos and Google Drive
● Participate in team meetings online and in person in Santa Monica to collaborate and share work
● Other tasks as necessary.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
● Interest and enthusiasm for connecting with and organizing people including outreach via phone, text and email.
● Interest in learning about and using spreadsheets and word processing, and people and project management software.
● Interest in and ability to use Facebook, Instagram, and other social media.
● Good writing skills, and an interest in creating written and visual content for public communications and advocacy.
● Ability to communicate with volunteers and community members in an encouraging supportive manner.
● Ability to work independently, to receive direction and coaching, and to work as a team.
● Interest in work aimed at creating community and social change, particularly related to environment and climate.
● Ability to come to Santa Monica one or more times per week for group work and team meetings.
● Occasional work at events in the daytime, evening and on weekends.
Climate Action Santa Monica’s fiscal sponsor is Social and Environmental Entrepreneurs (SEE), an equal opportunity employer.